Friday, August 7, 2009

A Summer Delight! - Yaki Nasu (Japanese Deep Fried Eggplant)

Yeah! It's finally really SUMMER TIME for me! So along with summer, comes time to spend cooking s-l-o-w food. Thanks go to Nozomi for taking the photos.

Step 1


Wash the eggplant and cut according to the size you like. These eggplants were a bit smaller than the usual Japanese variety. I cut them in half and then made three slice marks in the skin side. Not sure that it matters much, but it may help lessen the cooking time. It does add a bit of a decoration, though, to have the cuttings.




Step 2

Fry in your tempura vat until they look just right.

Let them drain and cool off for a bit.












Step 3
Dip in soy sauce with grated ginger or garlic. Sooooo good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are making me really, really hungry.

They look absolutely delicious.

I'm going with a friend to an all you can eat sushi bar for lunch today. It's made to order and really good ($18.95).

They are going to be in big trouble.

Becky said...

Go sushi! What a deal, too, $18.95. Have some scallops for me.

Anonymous said...

I did it!

And I am stuffed. Your scallops put me over the edge.

I wish I would have had your eggplnat instead!

Ozjane said...

good to have a cooking lesson